Saturday, August 29, 2009

THE WISDOM THAT SUMMER BRINGS

What I Believe in Life

I cannot any more call myself young. I don't know, but the idea of growing old holds so much appeal to me. I don't want to say too that I am through with life. In fact, life for me still is in its prime. For almost four decades of existence, life has been ups and downs - typically what it should be - not a bed of roses nor a cross to bear. What made me survive trials in life are some of the beliefs that I hold dear to me, in my heart and in my whole being. Firstly, I believe that life should be lived to its fullest. Secondly, I do my very best in whatever I ventured into, and lastly I always trust in the inherent goodness of others. These three beliefs have helped me weather all of life's challenges. I may have not been so successful in some, but the obvious truth that I continue to live, very much alive and kicking, proves that what I believe in life and how it is to be lived are true.

I always believe that life should be lived to its fullest. Life has too much to offer for all of us. I am so fortunate to have experienced the many facets of life. I have experienced so much joy and an equal dose of sad memories too. For every happy moment which comes my way, I always embrace it with much anticipation of what more to come and what else it has to offer. For every sad memory, I always learn that there would be more should I wallow on the pain it has brought me. Sad memories are to be lessons to teach me not to falter again. Happy moments are times to be treasured, a reminder of how beautiful life is and will be should I decide to live it to the fullest I know how. This is my first belief and it has made me survive 38 years of life.

I also believe in doing my best in whatever I am into. I was made to grow thinking that the good Earth had not been created for the ordinary and that mediocrity will not ever be the name of my game. I fully understood that to be the best entails so much sacrifice, and this I have long ingrained in my system. I am not a perfectionist but I always aim for perfection. God just made it that way - everything is to be perfect. It was only man that marred God's plan for us and I don't and I will not ever be that man. I always do things to the best of my ability. I sacrifice myself but not others only to be the best of who God wants me to be. This is my second belief which has made me see life beyond 38 years of me.

Finally, I always believe in the goodness of others. I do not live all alone in the world. I am constantly drawn to others and interact with people. These have equally brought me joy and pain. I have to believe, though, that people and that others cannot be bad. There is always good in others. There must be good in others who I have perceived otherwise. If I deny myself this thought, this belief, it only brings more sadness, more pain that obviously defeat the very purpose of my existence. This belief gives me hope that others can change, and that with others I can see the sun tomorrow rising. It will be shining brightly in the horizon, ushering in one more than 38 summers soon.

As the sun sets for another day, I cannot consider myself any younger than yesterday. I am already 38 years old and I have been through 38 summers already. What made me survive are beliefs I hold dear in my heart: live life to the fullest, live life to the best and live life believing in the inherent good of other men. These beliefs have eased off the pain and the sadness of my life. These have made me survive until today. The beauty of growing old is reflected in the wisdom of what I believe in. Another more summer and I won't be 38 anymore. Another more year and I won't be any younger than before. I may die with what I believe, but for sure, the wisdom of what I believe will outlast its believer.

No comments:

Post a Comment