Thursday, September 3, 2009

A HUMBLING EXPERIENCE FROM TWO GENTLEMEN

Klaus and Scottie: My Apology

When push comes to shove and jostles man against the wall, expect him to push back. This is not to prove that the Newtonian dynamics of action-reaction is correct. It is just man's basic instinct to prove his worth. Two of my students - gentlemen at that - showed me this reality and proved once and for all that indeed they can write. I always believe that men do not like to write. If they do, whatever they write is surely something very good. I also believe that men who can write very well are intelligent and very mature with life. Because men mature later than women, any 16-year old guy who croons his heart out to paper, surely is mature, a good shoulder to cry on and a perfect friend to have around.

When Klaus sat down with me this afternoon to have his work checked, I was very happy. He shattered what I have long dreaded. (He knows this one already.) Because all the essays he submitted were good in terms of content, organization and mechanics, I thought he did not write them. Looking at this fine German lad, I cannot imagine that he is so deep emotionally. His face always betrays both his thoughts and feelings; I was not just sure whether the essays I have read were his. I have apologized to Klaus this afternoon. Indeed this young man can write very well given the right opportunity and the hard push.

The other gentleman is Scottie. Pipen also impressed me with his first quarter project. It is one of the best from the gentlemen. Forgive me of the bias, but I also did not think of Scottie when I was reading his essay. It was just to good, too mature from a gentleman. However, when he asked me to go through his personal philosophy this afternoon, I was blown away. Here is a guy who does not only know his grammar but also what he is talking about, and he talks about it suavely that his thoughts flowed smoothly, effortlessly like cold knife in a butter. Nice...so nice that I was so inspired to strive more in teaching these men and all my students. I owed so much from both gentlemen.

As I confronted Klaus and asked him to tell me the truth, his soulful eyes spoke of so much sincerity and honesty. I was so ashamed with myself for underestimating the talent of this guy. What was unbelievable at first was the intensity of emotion he puts in his words that putting them together is an explosion of myriad of feelings. How can a seemingly innocent nonchalant boy can be so profound with his thoughts and emotions? His soft voice betrays his passion for words. Scottie, on the other hand, humbled me with his admission that he was just following what I told him to do that is why he is able to weave ordinary words smoothly into magical paragraphs. When one reads his work, what is very clear is the very smooth flow of thoughts. There seems to be no sentence that is out of place. Every word seems to be in the right place to breath life to paper of what is in his mind. If he was just following what I told him to do, then he is already a leader to me.

I always consider men who can write intelligent. I do not know what to call of Klaus and Scottie. They are more than intelligent. What really struck me is the depth of emotion both their written works elicited from the reader. Their words and how they put them together into sentences to build paragraphs are poetry in motion. The graceful flow of thoughts reminds the reader that deep within the hearts of these two lads are mature men all ready to face the real world - men who already have realized what life is to be for them and how they have to live it. If a boy can write like a man, he should have been through so many of life's happy and sad experiences. These experiences are what Klaus and Scottie have been through, and when they open their hearts and start writing what they truly feel of life, I cannot help but be inspired of how much about life these two men know. At 16 years old, my deep appreciation of how so good a gentleman the two of you have become. Sitting with you two this afternoon has really made my day! Again...my apology.

No comments:

Post a Comment