Thursday, May 27, 2010

SYLLABUS, SYLLABI, ALIBI...GOOD BYE

Praise the Good Teachers

We are on the second day of re-engineering our curricular offerings both in grade school and high school. We have been doing this for quite a while. It was however only this school year that we have become zealous of it. I believe that a good teacher should come with a functional discipline curriculum which is manifested tangibly by the syllabus. Most of the seasoned teachers have understood the necessity of good planning and well-thought syllabi. The younger teachers also thought the same. Sadly, others feel otherwise.

Some new teachers did not join us for this morning's brain-wracking curriculum re-engineering exercise. I appreciated those who arrived earlier than 8 - I arrived 5 minutes later. The air conditioning system was on its way humming cold when I entered the computer laboratory. Some teachers were already in front the computers coding their new syllabi. I was happy. As minutes passed by, I have come to conclusion that other teachers would not be coming. I was disappointed because these were the teachers who have not done anything yet nor were serious of what we were doing. During the yearend evaluation, they did not get a good rating from me. The school was compassionate though to give them one more year. However, good bye would have been better.

Saying it is hard to prepare the syllabus because the process was only partly taught in college is not even an alibi. It is downright self-denial of one's authentic self. When a teacher does not know who he is, what his duties are, that person does not belong in school, and actually cannot claim to be a teacher. There are so many teacher graduates who were trained to become teachers but lack the attitude of a real teacher. I have seen so many, and this has more than saddened me. I was alarmed that there are people who are like them, and are actually in school supposed to be mentoring young minds. No wonder education in our country is going down the drain. The only consolation I had later today was when three of my former students visited us. They were not the best minds we had, but they turned out to be excellent in their chosen degree programs. We have had prepared excellent syllabi before, therefore.

No comments:

Post a Comment