Saturday, February 28, 2009

HOMENS SANITY...VANITY INSANITY

The Frivolity of Youth, Vainness and Vanity

Vincent Van Gogh once asked that if boyhood and youth are but vanity, must it not be our ambition to become men. Nicely said coming from a brilliant but troubled mind. Vanity is indeed of youth, of the young and sadly…touted to be a sin. Sin or not, everyone aspires to be beautiful, to remain beautiful. Even if a boy grows to become a man at the expense of committing a mortal sin, the desire to be beautiful will forever linger in the heart of man. I myself cannot imagine growing up to be undesirable because I have given up on vanity.

Therefore, I have committed a mortal sin. I pampered myself today. I become enslaved to vainness and vanity. I got a relaxing full back massage, a refreshing facial and I got both my fingernails and toenails done. Pampering oneself is not to me vanity but a well-deserved reward after working for so long hours that span into days. Simply put, I just gave back something for myself, to take care of my body so that I can go on with life. Relaxing, resting and pampering both your body and soul have never been wrong. Even the good Lord rested on the seventh day. He got tired. How much more mortals like us?

Vanity equates with youth. Some good boys want to grow up to become men earlier than what their chronological ages allow them to be. They are the extraordinary men today, and I hope they have enjoyed life much more than most of us did. I belong to the group of boys who enjoy life as it comes. I did not want to let go of vanity yet, for now. I am very sorry with Van Gogh. I just have to disagree with the great impressionist. It does not necessarily mean that to be a man, a real good man, you just have to let go of the vain frivolity of youth.

Though I committed the sin of being vain, of being of the world, at least today I have rested, I have relaxed and came out all pampered…and never less of a good man I know I was, I am and I will be.

No comments:

Post a Comment