Tuesday, May 12, 2009

I AM SO PISSED OFF TODAY

...And My Patience Has Worn Out Thin

Patience is a virtue. Only a few men are gifted with this. I am not one but I know how to be patient. This is because each one of us is different from each other. One’s abilities and strengths may not be another’s. I may be capable of teaching, so everything about education I know much better than an engineer, for example. The latter may be good with strengths of materials and how to build structures which unfortunately I am not. I can talk and talk and talk without stopping. Others may not be able to do this, but they may be good in carpentry which sadly I am not. With these things in mind, I have taught myself how to be patient. My patience, therefore, is born from necessity and not inborn. Because my work requires me to deal with people from all ages and all walks of life, I have to be civil, keep my calm and be patient as my wits can hold me sane.

I was able to sleep well last night so I woke up this morning feeling good as well. Although I woke up quite late, I was all ready to face the new day. I had spaghetti for brunch and toasted bread. I ate contentedly as I watched some news on TV. The US serviceman who open fired to some of his comrades inside a mind wellness clinic in Iraq did not surprise me at all. He could be suffering from post traumatic stress syndrome which is very common to military men in the battlefield. I just hope he was not so impatient to wait for his turn and kill all those before him. My patience was tested to the same stress level as my day progressed. When I was in the middle of my workout, some people were looking for me. They were the same people whose favor I politely turned down a week ago. They were asking for a monetary contribution to hire a band for the fiesta procession. I could have been very generous if I have something to give; however, for now I am just flat broke. Every penny I have has been budgeted for me to last until the middle of June when I will have received my first pay for the next school year as a principal. Surely, I was irritated but I still promised to give something tomorrow.

After taking my shower, I saw somebody outside. I asked my mom who the person was looking for. She was my student in the local college where I am a part time teacher. She was the third to be asking for grades in College Writing today. I blew my top but I did not show it for I am only scantily clad in a bath towel. I was not able to compute for their final grades because they were so late (by two months) in submitting their term paper. I was only able to compute four of the 21 students I had. Clearly, it was not my fault that they do not have the grades until today. They just submitted their respective papers online and I still have to read them. Because it is vacation time, I refused to do any work related with school. I am so feed up with ten months of working diligently in school. I believed that I more than deserved this break. I did not talk with my student. I asked my mom to tell her I could not give them their grades for now. I will personally hand their grades to the registrar as soon as the new academic year starts.

I have no enough cash on hand today. This is why I was so irritated with the fiesta contribution they asked from me. To add more stress to my brewing top, my mom told me that the toilet cleaning set (of dubious chemicals) was due today. This just did it and I let out a loud sigh of frustration. My mother got a hell of scolding from me. I asked her not to patronize anymore those bogus products. We can by the same at half the price from the local supermarket. I am literally broke and so much stressed. My stress level reached an all time high when the oven ran out of precious LPG. My mom was in the middle of cooking something, I had no money to buy a replacement tank and I was so much stressed already, I decided not to eat. Suddenly I lost all my appetite. I can be very angry but I do not want to do it in front of my mom. I ran out of patience today that I locked myself in the room and fell asleep as late as 5 this afternoon.

Patience is a virtue. Born out of necessity, I taught myself how to be patient. I may have succeeded in some occasions but today I dismally failed. As I reflected on what took place today, I would like to believe that I was not responsible for all the bad luck that befell us all. I had no money to give because last week I already told the chapel officials that I was not donating. I did not have anything extra to give, simple. All cash I have has been budgeted already. I could not give grades because the students submitted late, and I hate very much people who cannot understand what a deadline is. My fourth year English students knew this by heart. My mom did not tell me ahead of time that a payment was due today. I had no money and we could not even cook a decent meal without sweating a lot inside the dirty kitchen. What a life! I would have liked to shout and break things whatever I can get hold of. These are my ugly and violent ways to release pent up anger. However, my saner self prevailed. I am stressed. My patience has been worn out thin. I will definitely sleep with a heavy heart tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment