Monday, May 11, 2009

'TIL DEATH DO US PART

Two Students and Two Colleagues

It definitely is a cliché to say that man is destined either to get married or stay single. Some say it is fate that dictates this or that it has already been written in the stars. (Whoa!) Thinking about life and as I mature, I am more inclined to believe that to stay single or get married is a matter of choice. I am single yet and this has been my choice. There are several reasons why marriage is not yet life’s option to me. For now, I have all the freedom to do whatever I want to do and go wherever I want to go. I have nobody to care so much and think about whatever the consequences of my decisions and actions are. I definitely feel free. It has always been my dream to be bad – act badly and enjoy the risk that comes with the gamble. Surely, I can only do this when there is no string attached to me – relationship that is. I don’t want to hurt my loved ones. Because there are still wild things I want to do, I have decided marriage is not yet for me…for now.

Having rested my case, I don’t want to say that those who get married today are way beyond their hay days. I also do not want to insinuate that those who get married today are fed up with being single. Whatever their reasons are, definitely marrying couples have only love to feign about why. This month I have two former students who are marrying. Both are guys and coincidentally were also once classmates. I know both to be very hard working. One was quite loud and short tempered but I know today his soon to be wife has tamed him. The other one was a shy guy and according to his soon to be wife still remains the shy guy he was once before. I know both their soon to be wives. Both women have been my colleagues. (Coincidence No.2) The first is a feisty woman but a lady inside. I consider her my younger sister. She’s very close to me that her mother thought we were more than friends. The other lady is sweetly close to me because she is our school nurse and I happen to always confer with her in matters of health among our students.

I am all too happy for both couples. Both marriages are still to be solemnized and I have been invited in both occasions. I am the veil sponsor for the first couple. I am one of the principal sponsors for the second one. I cannot help but feel excited for both events that today I called up my friend and ask for the color motif to match my barong. Though both marriages come in a time when the whole world is feeling the economic crunch, I hope their first few months as married couples will be all right. There will definitely be bumps along the rough roads ahead but am sure they will survive. I will definitely tell them later that the sole thing that can make both their marriages work is communication. Each partner should communicate and maintain an open mind for the other. It is not only love that makes marriages work and last forever. Successful marriage also takes a lot of communication, dialogue, a listening ear and a forgiving heart. I know these things but definitely I am not yet the marrying species. I still enjoy the carefree life of being single. I still want to be bad and enjoy the risk that comes with the gamble. Marrying though is one big gamble, but I cannot engage in one for now. Yet…

No comments:

Post a Comment