Wednesday, May 13, 2009

SUCKER FOR HIGH HOPES

Feeling the Election Fever Already

The right to suffrage is guaranteed in the constitution. It is an inalienable right of every person who is in the age of majority. The right affords every citizen of a country the freedom to vote whoever he wants to bring his voice to government. Majority of officials in the country are elected by the people. Unfortunately, election in this country has turned into a circus of some sort. The officials running for office are the performers and the people, the audience. There are several sorts of odd personalities who have run for office whose only qualification is that they can read (without comprehension) and write (the alphabet). They danced and sang their way to office. Surprisingly some of them won. This is because the electorate themselves are no more than just mere real life circus audience. Filipinos are fun loving but do not think of their future that much. We live by what is today. Election time, circus today…gone will be the fun the next day.

Next summer, May 2010, we will again be electing the highest official of the land. There will be another election for president of the country, unless some idiots up there in Congress will be successful in amending the constitution. I hate lawmakers when they keep on amending the charter for their own selfish motives. Who does not? We have definitely not learned our lessons yet. To assure of clean, honest and fair elections, as early as this month, May 2009, several cause oriented groups have launched campaigns already. Whoa! Their respective activities will run for one year. This will cost much; however, in the name of clean election every centavo that will have been spent is worth it. It is noteworthy that one of these cause-oriented groups targets the young electorate, basically the neophyte first timers. The campaign kicked off well through a nationwide telecast. I hope their noble intentions will be sustained until the Election Day.

Embarrassingly, I have not voted in three major elections, so I was deleted in the voters’ list. For two occasions, I was not home and it was impractical really for me to fly home just to cast my vote. I would have wanted to be a flying voter, but my guts got me before my feet landed me in the precinct. In the last occasion, I purposely did not register. I did fall in line to be officially listed, but the inefficiency of the process got into my system and I was so irritated about how unprofessional everything was done. I left my queue and went home together with my best friend. This year, however, I registered again. Not that my vote matters. Seldom has one vote made a winning difference to any lucky elected government official. I plan to run for office. I have set my eyes into it long before I became a school administrator. It is part of my career path. I am targeting 40. By this age I should be in office whether elected or appointed. Definitely, I will play the game with all honesty and fairness I could muster. I cannot betray the confidence others place upon me whether having been elected or appointed to office of public trust. The right to vote is sacred.

No comments:

Post a Comment