Sunday, April 19, 2009

MAKE IT HARDER, HAVE IT LONGER...

Exercise Harder, Live Longer and be Happier

I have always been a health buff. My passion to good health started way back when I was still in high school. My motivation then was the trimmed body that went with good health. When one is trimmed, it is a lot easier for him to engage in any activity without getting too much tired and stressed out. When one is slim, he can also get into any style. He is always in fashion, so to say. When I got a bit older, in college, my motivation still and unfortunately was the trimmed body plus the muscle that started puffing. It was all fun then to exercise myself to "kill" level. I seemed not to get tired at all then. The result of my hard work and the adrenaline rush just kept on pushing me to add some more reps. Even when I started working in the hospital, I still pursued good health by exercising and eating sensibly. It was all natural, no drugs and I was so proud of the result. My good health and trimmed body then were the result of my dedication, discipline and hard work. Unfortunately, everything started to wean off.

Although I was so sincere with my exercise regimen and eating pattern then, when-ever I had problems with my work, I observed that I ate more than what was needed to maintain my basal metabolic functions and sustain me through my daily activities. I knew then that it was not correct and I had to change this bad habit. When I was still in the hospital, I did burn enormous amount of calories doing my cardio. I rode my mountain bike and did about 20km sprint everyday. I so loved the rush that came with the wind against my sweat. When I was with my bike, I forgot the worries of the day. My day just did not stop with the bike though. I also conducted aerobic sessions with the senior citizens. When they expressed that they wanted me to help them rid of arthritis and other degenerative diseases, I volunteered to be with them. I always finished my day then with a good amount of another calories burned. Everything changed though when I became a teacher and started working in school.

The pressure of work in school was just too much for me. I started lagging behind my workout and cardio and began putting on some weight. I learned to diet when before I just ate sensibly. My eating binge when depressed became worst that from as trimmed as 32 inches I bloated to 38. I could no longer do push ups when before I could manage a decent 30. I could still bench press though but my abdominals got weaker. However, whenever I was at work, I often did abdominal contractions to help me with my back problem. Because I did not workout regularly anymore, my biceps and delts were no longer as prominent as before. My asset, my quads, were as perfect than ever. I still run and do a lot of brisk walking. I have well-defined quadriceps courtesy of my several years of mountain biking. What I fear now, however, is I easily run out of breath. I get tired fast and I am today carrying too much weight. I need to trim down. I promised myself this before summer vacation started.

This morning I woke up with the renewed vigor to exercise and start losing weight. My motivation now obviously is no longer aesthetics but more of becoming productive and be of help to others. How can I be both productive and of help to others when I am sick? I also do not want to die earlier than what is expected of me should I have been healthier. I slept late last night (actually this morning, 2a.m.). I will sleep earlier tonight so I will be more refreshed and my muscles rested. Because I was starting all over again, I did so much stretching and moderate cardio before I got into full running. I did about 30 minutes of stationary jogging and shadow boxing then proceeded to sit ups. I minimized rest time in between. I only did upper body today - traps and biceps. Hopefully, tomorrow I will do lower and the delts. I still have to pick up my pace. I still have to experiment what is really best for me. Another problem that I have to address to is my binge eating when depressed and pressured. With all these things in proper perspective, I hope I'm on my way to another new self.

The task ahead of me is definitely difficult. There will obviously be rough roads. What is good with me, however, is I am always passionate with things I have started. With some behavior modifications and proper time management I know I will make it. Whenever I exercise to be healthy and trim, I always have a picture of me at the end. I often imagine how will I look like, how will I feel and how will others react about my new self. These offer a lot of motivation for me to do a lot harder as the days go on, and they create a positive vicious cycle. Because the motivation is intrinsic, I know I will sustain with what I have just started today. When before I was so motivated to be healthy, to exercise and be trimmed because of how I would look, today my mission is even greater. I do not want to be sick earlier than expected. I don't want to be debilitated and be useless. I know I still can do so many things to help myself and the community. I know there are still higher reasons for my existence. I have slowly discovered some but there are still some more. I just cannot afford to miss all these things just because I die young. The world has so many beautiful things to offer. How will I enjoy them when I am already six feet underground?

No comments:

Post a Comment