Friday, April 3, 2009

SEX, SECURITY, INTIMACY, ESTEEM

Ambling Myself to Self-Actualization

I woke up late today and on the right side of the bed. I just took my morning coffee and some chocolate cookies. I would have liked to take a full breakfast; however, I hated to prepare it. I was just too famished. After, to kill the time, I cut my fingernails. I would have liked my nails done professionally. I just don't have the time to tarry along with the manicurist. She's too loud, I hate her whenever she opens her mouth. I have to look for another one to do my nails next time. My sister arrived to chat with my brother who was planning to purchase a prime property consisting of a house and lot. I knew my brother, and I just could not imagine him buying such. He once told me that a house (but not a lot) is a bad investment, and I agree with him.

I live in our ancestral house. I pride myself as the heir apparent to it, although I have to relinquish it someday to whomever can be trusted to take good care of it. I had, therefore, no other obligation but to keep the house in good condition today while I stay there. Maintaining the house in pristine condition and always spic and span though cost a sizable amount of money. Through time, obviously, a house deteriorates. Not unless one rents it or accept boarders and lodgers will one earn from a house. A house is simply not meant for one to earn an income, rather it is an investment that depreciates with time and demands a significant amount of money to maintain in good condition. My brother was right, and I was right too. If there be any consolation, at least I was made the caretaker of the ancestral house.

Ours is a small family but I am quite appalled by the idea that we own quite a number of cars. I never drive too much and everywhere I go is accessible by walking. Even my place of work is just a 30 minute walk. I do not own these cars. These are my father's. At home, we have the Prado and the Sportiva. In my sister's, they have the Estrada, the HiAce and the multipurpose cab. Our youngest sister has the Corolla and the Pajero. This is not to mention that my other brother drives his own Pajero. My father and my brother-in-law love cars. I don't. I have lived in the city for quite a number of years. Walking to me then was a luxury. Now, that I live in this laid back southern town, I can always indulge in one of man's most neglected pleasures - walking. Whenever I walk home from work in the afternoon, it is such a bliss.

I am not on houses nor on cars. I also do not dig in to high tech gadgets. I only have my laptop, a bedroom computer and another one in the living room. The laptop for work, the bedroom for personal use, and the living room for games. I have never bought myself a cellular phone. I have only three ever since the craze started. All were gratis et amore. The first unit I have, a Nokia 6210, was from our youngest sister. She loved the size but later on opted for a unit with a built-in camera. I have a new phone now, a Nokia 2630, which was also given to me by my other younger sister. No fancy TV at home. I own a portable DVD player though and a simple CD player. The latter cost me only $20, and still it is crooning nice music for me. I take good care of anything I own, especially those that were just given to me.

I am just happy that I have transcended the first four human needs according to Maslow. I consider myself still young, but I am proud to say that what I need today go beyond safety, love and esteem. I do not hold on to material possessions because these are no longer the things that make me happy. Any kind of house will do for me, but cars, I don't need them. The latter just get into too many troubles in a country like ours where even blinds can get a driver's license. The phone was a welcomed gift; however, I can very well live without them. In fact, I seldom open my phone. It's always close. I maintain contact though with some close acquaintances, and all my appointments are usually scheduled and well-finalized. Should something go awry with them and my other engagements, people can send me an e-mail or better chat with me in real time.

I have found it that the less I am connected with material possessions, the less complicated becomes my life. I have more important concerns than a clogged drain or a sagging ceiling. I hate renewing car registrations in an office besieged with so much corruption. It's too suffocating talking with public officers who think more of the bribe rather than the engine number of my car. If I like my vehicle registration processed on time, then I have to bribe my way a lot faster and more than my car consumes gas. With my cellular phone, only the service providers get richer faster because of the too many advertising promos any sane person can handle in one day. My mother even thought cellular phone companies steal phone loads. I find this funny, but may be true. Because today I am no longer so attached with these material frills in life, my life has just gotten much better. My problem with my students though is another story!

No comments:

Post a Comment