Saturday, April 4, 2009

ALL BY MYSELF THIS HOT LENTEN SEASON

The Luxury of Being All Alone


Tomorrow, Sunday, ushers the start of the Holy Week. To the Christian world, this is the most important celebration and the holiest of all. The entire week is devoted to prayer, fasting and penance. This also commemorates the passion, death and resurrection of Christ. Unfortunately, because it is a long holiday, most people rather see it as one long summer vacation, devoid of any religious meaning. Families usually go out of town, visit relatives in the province and hopefully celebrate Lent there. Friends and workmates usually get together in an outdoor fun and frolic. They either go to beaches or climb mountains. Because it would also be too hot, most people really decide to spend Holy Week where the beach is or where there is much cooler weather. I will spend mine just at home.

I have nothing especial planned for the Holy Week. There is nothing so extraordinary with the way I observe Lent. I do go to church, but I seldom join religious activities prepared for the occasion. I am not a very religious person, but I do have a very strong faith in my God. I usually just stay inside the house, read a lot of books and maybe blog a lot this time. I stayed with my Mom in the house. She often observes piously the Holy Week. I am usually left in the house all alone whenever she attends masses intended for the season. We do fast and because of this I have all my time in the kitchen concocting whatever meat-free dish I can manage from what is inside the ref. This may be boring to some, but because I love being alone, I find the Holy Week the most opportune time to reflect all about myself.

I love to be alone. I treasure my time so much whenever I am all alone. It is only when I am far from people when I get to refocus myself, think clearly of the future. It is only when I am all alone when I can reminisce the past and reflect on what has happened so far in life. Being alone is different from being isolated though. I don't want to be isolated and I don't want to live in isolation - out of contact with any living being. I am basically a people person. I thrive well when in group. I can lead well too and I can always be the life of any party. However, just like any person, I get tired too with people. I just need to be alone and the Holy week to me is the best time for this. I got to be in touch with my faith. I got to be in touch with myself. I tend to forget the people around. I am just free, all alone by myself.

There are just so many things that have happened to me. Some in the remote past, I still cannot forget. A few memorable events have just happened more recently which were all still very clear to my mind. These memories maybe happy or sad. They may have been triumphs of spirit or cries of defeat. Whenever I am all alone, I think about all these memories, reflect on their meanings, their implications to my life and what I have to do for the future. I have to learn from the lessons of these memories. They may be figments of the past today; however, they can be the best lessons to be learned for the future. I don't have the luxury to reminisce, to learn from the mistakes of the past unless I am all alone, not lonely nor isolated - just plainly all alone.

Because I am not into ritualistic tedium of my religion, I can never be seen outside as pious as I am in spirit. During the Lenten season, I do go to church but I don't indulge myself into so many sacrificial work of penance. I do fast but I don't have to show it to others. In fact during the Holy Week I appear as I am like any ordinary day. I do not do so much. I just usually stay home. Go to the beach and maybe explore the sands. Read a lot and reflect on life. I treasure my being all alone. It would be a luxury today to be all alone with yourself and to yourself. Seldom will one find time and place which allow one to bask in glorious aloneness. To a few people the Holy Week is, sadly, fun and frolic. To the religious and pious, a time for penance and sacrifice. To me, it is to be alone, to be with myself - thinking of the past, charting the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment