Tuesday, March 17, 2009

USAPANG LALAKI, USAPANG MATINO

That Damn Straw and Tupperware

It did not come to my attention that after I just gave a lengthy homily about good manners to one sophomore section, three boys figured out in a brawl at the canteen, simply because of a drinking straw. While looking somewhere for a place to sit, one student inserted a straw on another one's soda pop. Not able to see who did it, Christian started accusing Allan of the prank and started a litany of the latter's jokes played on him. The classmates thought everything was all right until they were back in the classroom when suddenly Allan hit Christian with a Tupperware on the face. Christian hit Allan back, causing a clean slit of skin underneath the latter's lower lid.

I don't want to be angry anymore. I was just not able to imagine before how tiring was it to be always angry. I maintained my cool, but I really have decided to confront back these young men. I got inside the classroom and everyone was so silent I could hear my own breathing. I started back with the vision of the institution - who we are, where we are going and how are we going to get there. I strongly believe that they must have to understand this very well. If the students know what our dream is for each one of them, they will definitely journey with us to get there. I have always been told that I can explain well our vision-mission, I hoped I did justice this morning.

You may have drawn a very bad image of me as a teacher and instructional leader after what I have been ranting for several days now. Actually I am a good teacher. I am just frustrated with some of our students this year, mostly the seniors. After four years with us, they did not seem to have understood the vision-mission of the school. I don't know, but today I just did not want to be angry anymore. I got into a heart to heart talk with the sophomores. I made them understand that should I decide to continue teaching next school year, I need them to really help make my stay a lot easier and more productive.

After delivering my homily, I requested the ladies to step out. I just need to have a man to man talk with the remaining gentlemen. I congratulated myself for maintaining my cool. Should I have been so angry again, I knew I would have lost face and the respect of these young men. To loosen up a bit, I told them that about twenty years ago, I was also the typical teenager that they are today. I was naughty too and have also pulled quite a number of pranks with my friends. However, I added that what set me differently before from them today was the idea that I knew where I stood before with regards to the school, to my teachers, my classmates and my parents. I have never been the problem before; I have always been part of the solution.

I though still have a thin streak of goodness in me. I can always forgive faster than I can get angry. It did happen today. I was able to have a heart to heart, man to man talk with the sophomores. I need them to help me next school year. Despite how angry I can be, a lot of students still believe that deep within, I am good. Yup, they have always been correct. A lot of our parents too have put so much trust in me, in us and the whole school, that I owe it to them to be the best teacher I can be, I can muster. Before everyhting else though, I need our sophomore students to exorcise the hell out of me. Resurrect me!

Usapang lalaki, usapang matino...

No comments:

Post a Comment