Saturday, March 21, 2009

TO CANLAWILAO...AGAIN AND WITH LOVE

Great Expectation and Summer Anticipation

Definitely, it's summer already. After I've taken my shower and prepared for my class in the local college, I was drenched with sweat, I had to put the air conditioning system into full blast. I just can't help but feel so uncomfortable even early in the morning. To say the sun has really made its hot presence is an understatement. It burns. Burn, baby, burn! As I was traveling for school today, my skin tingled as the sun hit me. The warmth though becomes ordinary as the days of summer unfold. It may even be so addictive, that before I purposely basked under the summer sun mountain biking to my heart's content.

I will have my early summer retreat though. I am planning of spending my last two days of March in a log cabin in the mountains. This summer vacation house is owned by my sister's friend. It is located roughly 15 km from the town center, way up the mountains. My town is the summer capital of the province, so I expect that the weather up there definitely is a lot cooler than the rest. It is a log cabin nestled amidst tall pines and year-old tree ferns. It is rustic with an air of country mystic. One part of the house is made of glass panelling overlooking tall evergreens providing shade to lambs. The place always blows me away. This will be my third back there, rest as if the world stops spinning frozen with time.

The first time I was there, I marveled so much in the cabin's external architecture. Everything is made of either log or wood. With much creative expertise, a lattice made of both decorates the front wall of the house, welcoming every tired sojourner. The front garden teems with exotic flowers that bloom only in temperatures less than 10 degrees Celsius. There are anthuriums of so many colors for one's eyes to feast on. Inside the cabin is as quaint as its exterior - log benches in a dining table, couches with soft feathery covers and the stone fire place. Temperatures at dusk usually fall below 5 degrees that the warmth glow of burning fire helps. The place is really worth coming back for more.

The anticipation of going back is killing me, so to say. I just do not know what to expect after almost three years. There can be so many changes done on the cabin, but I hope everything is for good. I expect to see again the collection of dead branches. I hope the millionaire's bushes are in bloom. The sprigs carrying blue blooms are what I like best. I will also be very happy if the friendly German shepherds and Rottweilers will still be wagging their tails for me. I love dogs. They are friends I can always rely on. The hammock hanging between two tree ferns, I hope will still be there. The gazebo, the secret pathway at the back, the looming pines by the kitchen, the uniformly bottled spices neatly arranged in the cupboard...so many things, not to mention the friendly ghost that keep watch the house from occasional teenagers looking for adventure.

I have noticed lately that I have not been so angry anymore. I may have been tired of looking so childishly foolish. Well, this is good. However, I am now more inclined to think that I am a lot happier because of these great expectations - a summer retreat in a log cabin nestled in the valley of pines with so many things inside and outside that can overwhelm my senses. I am tired and the idea of a blissful rest away from the nightmares of modern civilization even for a couple of days sounds so appealing. It has mellowed me down. I am the angry teacher no more. How stupid I was before not being able to think that an angry teacher's antidote is plain and simple thought of a great expectation - a sense of focus of where life may lead. Dwelling on what has been simply causes much more pain...and the vicious cycle of anger starts again.

1 comment:

  1. I was searching some pics of canlawilao elementary school in google and I saw your picture with canlawilao on it. Is the vacation house you referred in your blog located in Sitio Canlawilao here in Dalaguete? Hopefully, you can post some pics inside the vacation house because looking outside the house, the house looks mysterious. I had been there once to buy some anthurium from Nong Tiago and Nang Meding. I am just hoping if you can do it. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete