Saturday, March 7, 2009

SOME GOOD THINGS NEVER LAST

...And the Good Things I Will Miss

Last Feb. 1999 I embarked on a totally different journey of my life. I became a teacher. From being a social work officer moving back and forth from hospital to field, I got into a totally new environment-the classroom. I substituted for a friend teaching Biology and Chemistry. I liked the idea of imparting knowledge to young minds so in the summer that year I went back to school to prepare me more to be a good teacher the next academic year. This year, 10 years hence, I decide to rest from school. My reasons are varied, complex and are not worth mentioning here. I won't be a high school teacher anymore.

My almost eight years of being a classroom teacher was very rewarding. I was often assigned the class adviser of the last section. Most of the time, my students were challenged both mentally and behaviorally. However, these two have always been my motivation for my students to strive more. We won almost all the contests before; we defeated even the brainier ones. What I am very proud of, however, was I made my students understand what real life is outside the school. I am very proud that I have prepared most of them well to face real life challenges. Today, some of them are professional nurses, computer engineers, managers, and teachers and they have not forgotten me.

I always go beyond being a teacher. I always treat my students and my co-teachers as younger siblings. Next academic year, there are people and things I will definitely miss. Sadly, I will miss my beautiful junior students. I taught third year computer programming and most of my better programmers are young ladies. I will also miss most of my hard working co-teachers. Their dedication is beyond question. They deserve more than the appreciation they are getting now. Lastly, I will miss the books in the library. I love to read and there are just so many better reads in the library. I will definitely miss all these!

Some things, however good, will just have to end. Right from the start, I knew that I would not be a teacher forever. I have planned it out well, my life. I really just have ten years in my mind working as a teacher. After that, I would like to venture in another field. I planned to be back in the government service where I was before. I dealt with poor families then. They may be poor in material possession, but they are very reach in spirit. I like to be with them again. I am currently confused with my real purpose in life. My students seem to be less appreciative of what I am doing. I want to regain back the zest in life, the zeal to work and zoom my way back where I was before.

I am sad today, and I will definitely be sadder tomorrow. There are decisions, however, that I just have to make. I am actually taking so much risk leaving the school, but I am not comfortable anymore in there and its environs. I am literally jumping out of my discomfort zone, which is I think good. Though I am not sure I can get back to government service, I have to try my luck. They said there's no harm in trying, so be it. For some good things just never last, I am expecting for the worst even. If it not be that, at least I get something worse!

No comments:

Post a Comment